Friday 4 February 2011

Happy endings?

Well I'm on day 2 of my quest to just to write, write and write some more and have got about 1200 words into a little short story which I'm quite enjoying (I may or may not post it at some stage depending on how brave I get!).

One of the things that has become apparent to me over the years of attempting to write is that I come up with great opening paragraphs, I know how to get people hooked into a story but then it often fizzles out as I don't really know where to go with it. One of the ways of the suggested ways of combatting this is to write the end first, or write the middle first so I know where to fill in the blanks. Good idea.

So I am now considering writing the ending of my story so I know where its headed, but as with all stories there are a number of potential outcomes. One of the reasons I love childrens novels is the simplicity of them, more often than not all of the themes are tied up by the end of the book, usually happy. Good tends to win over evil, and you know exactly where you are leaving the characters - usually happy, fufilled, safe and loved. I get a great deal of satisfaction from these kinds of stories, I like it when everything turns out right.

I do find "grown-up" books (and films) can often  leave things unresolved or with an un-happy ending, all very artistic and cultured and probably a bit more realistic I'm sure, but it leaves me feeling a bit cheated.

I think books/films/stories are meant to be an escape from daily life. Some people like to be frightened, some like to be titilated and others like to be made to laugh or cry but I think the common denominator is looking for adventure or fantasy within the comfort of our own homes. And although I enjoy the sad or confusing moments during the story, I really don't enjoy being left confused or sad at the end of it. It kind of negates the whole point of reading in the first place. I like to be left with that warm fuzzy feeling that you get from a nice happy ending!

This is what I like, but if I were to spend all my time writing just what I want to read I may end up with little or no audience! So in trying to get some insight into the kind of things real people want to read, I'd like to invite you to comment on what kind of ending you like? Happy or sad, resolved or unresolved? If you feel you don't want to elaborate, one word answers is fine. Although elaboration is also very welcome! This might help me decide on what ending I should use for my story.

And also I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has read my first post and been so supportive on FB, I really hope you will continue to follow me (you can click become a follower to the right of this page). xxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth - the kind of ending I like is when the end is not predicatable!! I have read many books and by the time you are half way through you know how it is going to end which sometimes is fine as you just want an uncomplicated read at the end of the day but when you can't guess the end whether happy or sad then to me that is a good read xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Paula...for me its about being surprised with an unforseen twist! Happy, sad or otherwise. I hate it when I get half way through and know how a books going to end. One I read recently cleverly convinced me I knew exactly how it was going to end and then surprised me in the last chapter. Brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete