Friday 12 August 2011

Riot Ranting


Apparently the riots were a protest against the cuts. The man said we have been overpaying for petrol for many years now and you don’t see scores of road users stealing massive tellies from Curries in protest. I am sceptical as to whether or not any of the ‘protesters’ knew what they were ‘protesting’ against, I mean, make your mind up kids, was it the shooting of Mark Duggan or having your youth club shut down? In my opinion, the answer is neither. The very fact that the riots spread to so many different areas of the country just goes to show how bored the ‘yoof’ of today are, pumped up full of pubescent hormones and looking for the next adrenalin hit. They are not content with what they have, because our society values possessions over principles and money over morals.

Maybe the police should have stamped it out the moment it started. But can you blame them after the death of Ian Tomlinson? We were all very quick to criticise them when an innocent man was hurt while they were protecting our country, how could they possibly guarantee that innocent bystanders would not be injured by rubber bullets or dry clean only trainers not ruined by water cannons (and lets face it, there were an awful lot of trainers on the street those nights)?

Being ‘poor’ is a delicate subject, it’s always easy to sit in a position of privilege and judge those who have less than you. But these people give those who are truly poor a bad name. I think it’s pretty strange that the ‘poor’ rioters were walking round in £100 jeans and expensive trainers, and come to think of it, how come they all had Blackberries to organise it in the first place? Are Blackberry’s even available on weekly payment options from Freemans catalogue?

 “There is nothing for young people these days”. Well the truth is, our current ‘yoof’ have more amenities and resources available to them than ever before.

Just take a look at your local library notice board. Groups, helplines, out reach projects, all for young people. I don’t see many “middle class out reach project” or even “wine appreciation society for mothers on the verge of alcoholism” (kind of describes my book club but still) notices, it’s all about the kids. Our parents, or even those of us in our thirties, didn’t have access to half the amenities there are today (the most exciting addition for my generation being the launch of Childline, a service I was fortunate enough not to need except in response to “you’re grounded” “I hate you. I’m gonna call Childline on you”) and you didn’t see us rioting in the streets, helping ourselves to anything we could lay our hands on.

I remember very well how hard it was to be young. Everything is boring (I’d give my back teeth to be bored these days). Hormones are off the chart (I know how that feels, but for different reasons these days) making everyday life uninteresting and you are constantly searching for the next big adrenalin hit, whether a snog behind the bikesheds or pooling your dinner money to buy ten B&H and a bottle of White Lightning at lunch time. So much of the ‘fun’ I had as a child involved being naughty in some way. But I would never, ever have considered doing anything like what has happened this week, bored or not.

Can we blame a lack of discipline? This is the first generation of kids whose parents were not allowed to smack them, is that some kind of coincidence? We all use the naughty step, and hang on Supernanny’s every word, but would our kids be better behaved if they got a good smack every now and then? One father said on the news that he couldn’t control his kid because he wasn’t allowed to tie him to the bed or give him a smack. I kind of see where he’s coming from, what’s he going to do? Put his 16 year old on the naughty step? Ooh I’m scared.

The reason why me and my mates didn’t do anything that naughty was because we knew that repercussions would stretch further than taking a ball out of one jar and putting it in another, or moving one space down on a reward chart. My mum wasn’t a smacker but my Dad was (“just wait till your father gets home!”), in the pull your pants down and smack your bum in the middle of the shopping centre kind of way. And when we  were too old for that, he’d already done the ground work so we understood the look that said: “I WILL pound the crap out of you and if that means taking you to the shopping centre I bloody well will, don’t test me.”

5 comments:

  1. Great post Beth and so very true. I think the problem today is that for some children, there is very little role modelling 'respect' for the emergency services. I mean come on who would be the first people to call if you were being burgled or your house is on fire or your child (or relative) is in an accident ?? 'emergency services' we couldn't live without them. I think we should all applaude these members of the community who risk life and limb to help others and not be against them. So many parents are quick to slag off the police to their children. I too was raised to believe that if i did wrong then i will be punished.....so thats what needs drumming into the youth of today!!

    These were just low life with a motive to cause harm (or death) because......they couldn't give a shit about others, cold and heartless individuals....'care in the community' what a joke.

    I bet if there was another terrorist attack in these cities then community would all pull together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my own rants about the riters this week, and like you I find it incredible that people are making excuses for this behaviour. In my opinion, there is NO excuse for this behaviour! Yes, we may have done "naughty" things when we were in our teens, but we never did anything that would hurt another human being in the way these materialistic, narrow-minded, selfish morons have! Water cannon the lot of them, spray them with indelible dye, round 'em up, arrest AND charge them, and give every single one of them including the eleven year olds a custodial sentence, oh, and conviscate their trainers, Blackberries, jeans etc and set fire to them! Bastards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm interesting post but not sure I agree on this one, I think what is happening is a sign of a far bigger problem within our society and the majority of these kids are not coming from middle class backgrounds but from areas of poverty who have no prospects etc Yes what they have done is awful and has ruined and affected lots of peoples lives and I dont defend that but there is a bigger problem and it needs addressing and personally I dont believe it is to do with discipline. My brother has written a blog post on the same subject if you are interested:

    http://www.reading.ac.uk/blogs/readingpolitics/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your great comments and interesting insights.

    Lucy I read Ben's post and although a good post, I don't agree. I think we are in danger of over intellectualising something with has no business in rational thought. If you look at the cross section of people who have been arrested, there is no standard issue riotor. I have no doubt that some of them may have come from poor, possibly even abusive or neglectful backgrounds, but many of them also come from a position of privilege. Either way it really makes no difference what background they come from, I have no wish to understand the minds or motives of these people any more than I do the mind or motives of a murderer. If they have something to say then say it, go down the proper channels, make a complaint to the police, use their right to vote, the same as the rest of us have to. What makes them so special that they can burn down a business that has been there far longer than they have just to get a point across? Why should we listen to them?

    A lot of them have complained that police don't respect them, and your brothers post mentioned the demonising of 'hoodies', but many of them hang about on street corners staring at people just trying to get through their day, and often having loud obscene conversations in public, which I don't want my kids to hear quite frankly. I'm not a snob and I know that everyone who wears hoods are not like that (I wear hoodys myself!), but surely by them saying "the police" don't respect us is just as bad as us saying all hoodies are bad.

    Very interesting debate though (my position is always only based on what I know now and I am always open to new ideas) and keep the comments coming.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you totally Beth re

    http://www.reading.ac.uk/blogs/readingpolitics/

    This attitude is the whole problem for the majority of people...

    Law is Law, and we all know right from wrong at that age... End of discussion

    ReplyDelete