Sunday 6 March 2011

Honesty the best policy Vs. some things better left unsaid

I was born with a compulsive need to tell the truth. When asked a question it almost spews from me so uncontrollably that I've said something before I've even had a chance to think it through. I can't tell you how many times I've been left not listening but nodding along to a conversation while trying to keep up with my internal monologue of "You complete fuck wit, what did you say THAT for? You should have just lied." Great for my parents when I was a rebelious teenager, not so great for me as it seemed like I was constantly in trouble or upsetting someone. But I always believed that people knowing the truth was a lot better than being a liar. As a teenager, I even declared in the front of my diary "Do Not Read This. If You Do Read It And Don't Like What You Read Tough Shit You Shouldn't Have Read It." What a delightful young girl I was, no, really.

I'm not sure why I'm this way. Partly I think its becasue I have seen a lot of pain caused by lies. Partly its because my mum always told me honesty was the best policy and deep down I'm a good girl who wants to do as she's told, not to mention my other compulsive need to please people, but that's a whole nother blog post. Despite all this, as I get older I am coming to realise that maybe some things really are better left unsaid.

We all tell tiny white lies to be polite: "What a cute baby" (actually it looks like a chewed up toffee), "You look well" (I always feel like this translates to "you look like you've been treating yourself to too many takeaways" but I may be wrong) and millions of other niceties we use to be polite. You can totally shoot yourself in the foot by telling polite white lies: "What an interesting sounding job, tell me more" (Oh bollocks, why did I say that? Now I'm going to be sitting here listening to the ins and outs of his boring job when I could be replaying the latest episode of The Real Housewives of OC in my head).

Sometimes we ask questions that we don't really want to know the answer to and we force people into lying to us: "Is that girl prettier than me?" and the ultimate "Do I look fat in this?"

Sometimes we tell a white lie to protect someones feelings then, because we feel we might not be being completely true, we add a back up statement. "Yes it's a lovely top/dress/shoes. Not something I'd wear myself though." Which I'm not sure actually makes that much sense and think may be more of an underhand put down than telling the truth in the first place.

Most of us tell lies every day, especially to our kids: "Yep we'll be there in 5 minutes" (when actually its at least half an hour away), "no you wouldn't like this cream cake its made from cheese and you don't like cheese do you?" And my personal favourite: "playing with your winky will make it fall off".

But let's be honest here, seeing as we're talking about honesty, none of those little niceties really matter. Being polite is just curteous and helps maintain the status quo but what if it's something you feel is important?


I can name a number of situations, usually between friends, where one person feels the other person needs to know that they are not happy about something that has been said or done. This is a tricky situation. Things are said. Feelings are hurt. And sometimes friendships have been destroyed by what at the beginning was a simple clash of principles (let's face it, everyone is different and if we were all the same we would be bored). Should you speak up if you disagree with something someone has done, even if it has nothing to do with you? What if they have said something that has hurt your feelings?

I used to think yes, in particular if it's someone you love you should tell the truth, get it out there and have a grown up discussion about it. Try and resolve it. But sometimes in life things just can't be resolved. Things can't be undone and actually talking about it just creates momentum behind something that might not have really bothered you in the first place or at least after a few weeks of things settling down. My new rules are to ask myself: Does that thing that you have a problem with really affect YOU? And if so how much? Enough to hurt someones feelings? Enough to destroy a friendship or at the very least cause weeks of potential stress and upset? Nope, I have learned the hard way that some things really are better left unsaid.

I'm not going to change the habit of a lifetime and start lying all over the place, so those of you that know me can feel safe in the knowledge that more or less, what you see is what you get and I will continue to spew forth random truths that have no real place being anywhere other than inside my head, but I am certainly going to try to think before I speak and try and decide whether or not telling the truth is really worth it.

What does everyone else think?

6 comments:

  1. I can comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,

    Sorry its me messing around seeing if I could comment and I can ... but only as annon

    and yes I have a serious problem also with the truth ... I have an overwhelming need to tell the truth and always feel the need to tell Ed immediatly if I have done something that I think will bother him .. e.g I have crunched the car, bought more shoes .... the list could go on. I think its a selfish thing from me as I hate the nawing worry of not telling the truth and getting it out there straight away.

    Emily xx (P.S it just might be my google account as I had a nice giant error msg hopefully its just user error :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The older I get the easier it is to tell my friends/family the truth but using a subtle approach!! My problem is when friends/family are honest with me and is not always the sort of advice or constructive critisum i expected which then plays on my mind for days, weeks even months sometimes...silly little things like making spontaneous comments on facebook before thinking my reply through first or writing a sarcastic status and my hubby saying "i don't think you should have said that!" the thought of the consequences (even if there isn't any) will play on my mind.

    Today i was faced with having to bite my tongue because of someone i know innocently flirting with my husband on facebook(grrrrrr). i know deep down there is nothing to worry about but i feel so angry and sooo wanted to be someone else for the 5 minutes it took to reply
    to her message (i didn't but wanted to) telling her how it made me feel and how i wanted for that split second to rip her head off. But thats not me and like you say Beth some things are better left unsaid to avoid future conflict and upset...but is it ok to leave things unsaid if it upset me and will play on my mind everytime i see her or her future comments ? after all i would only be telling the truth!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great point about honesty being almost a selfish thing Emily, I do think that has always been the case with me too, I just can't be bothered to live with it.

    Anon- I know exactly what you mean. I think you just have to ask yourself is being honest worth the upset? The situation may play on your mind for a few days and upset you, but how much is it really upsetting you and could being honest potentially cause alot more trouble, possibly even change a friendship irrevocably? It's a toughie and I don't think there are any totally tight answers to be honest xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sometimes the truth can be ona "need-to-know" basis. The saying "The truth hurts" is certainly very true, and in my opinion the only reason a person wants to tell their partner that they have cheated on them for example, is to off-load their own guilt. Have they done the right thing by telling the truth?? They've just made their partner feel like a complete bag of shit, quite frankly! They can move on, guilt-free, and the other person has to find a way to deal with the truth! I always say to Dean, go ahead and cheat if you want, but watch out if I ever find out! He knows his limits!

    So ignorance is bliss, never lie, but don't always tell the truth either!

    Oh, and I use the willy-falling-off thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently read a book by Dr Charles Foster called 'there's something i have to tell you' it covers a wide range of stuff to tell, asking something difficult, giving criticism or confessing secrets etc. I am using it to try and be a bit more assertive on my charity trustee board because by nature i am unconfrontational and a people pleaser, i want people to like me, but tough and often unpopular decisions need to be made. Anyway, he says that little white lies are good for the soul and relationships and there is nothing wrong with telling a white lie that has no consequence for you but may help someone else feel good or less anxious etc. He did say with regards to telling truths that the main point should be why?, who is going to benefit from this truth? how is it going to affect that person? Are you doing it for them or you?
    It was really helpful, i decided that i didnt need to give this negative feedback to someone that others were giving behind their back and i should stop feeling guilty just because i knew about it.

    ReplyDelete